Since its founding as Northfield College in 1866, Carleton has been closely identified with its vibrant, historic hometown. Northfield's slogan, ''Cows, Colleges and Contentment,'' was established in 1914 and continues to underscore the importance of the colleges in the life of our community.
Carleton College is committed to providing a true liberal arts education, a curriculum that challenges our students to learn broadly and think deeply. Instead of training for one narrow career path, Carleton students develop the knowledge and skills to succeed in any walk of life.
The most important thing our students gain is how to learn for a lifetime. Critical thinking, problem solving, creativity, effective communication: these are the tools that transform a collection of facts and figures into a way of understanding the world. Learn more about Carleton: https://www.carleton.edu/about/.
• Nationally ranked, private, coeducational, residential liberal arts college
• Located 45 minutes south of Minneapolis/St. Paul in historic Northfield
• Total enrollment fall 2018: 2,046 (50.5% women, 49.5% men)
• Geographic distribution of student body—Midwest-34.1%, West-22.3%, East-19.5%, South-12.7%, International-11.4%
• Student Faculty ratio of 9:1
• An average class size of 16
• 33 majors; 36 minors with more than 1,000 courses offered
• Trimester-based academic calendar